1. New Jersey Devils: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 198 S: R
GP: 33 G: 20 P: 46 PIM: 36
Devils snag the player scouts have been raving about for years. He’ll be a high-end pro for many years.
2. Philadelphia Flyers: Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
HT: 6-1 WT: 176 S: L
GP: 57 G: 38 P: 86 PIM: 24
The Flyers make the dynamic, two-way Swiss centre a key piece of their team.
3. Dallas Stars: Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK (SM Liiga)
HT: 6-0 WT: 170 S: L
GP: 37 G: 5 P: 10 PIM: 4
The Stars get back to drafting high-end blueliners early and take the top-rated defence prospect in the draft.
4. Colorado Avalanche: Gabe Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
HT: 6-3 WT: 201 S: R
GP: 49 G: 29 P: 61 PIM: 12
Dots down the best player in the draft.
5. Vancouver Canucks: Cody Glass, C, Portland (WHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 178 S: R
GP: 69 G: 32 P: 94 PIM: 36
Sure Vancouver needs help on the blue-line but can’t pass up one of the highest risers in the draft.
6. Vegas Golden Knights: Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)
HT: 5-11 WT: 180 SH: R
GP: 54 G: 24 P: 75 PIM: 18
Perhaps the most creatively gifted defenceman in the draft.
7. Arizona Coyotes: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Green Bay (USHL)
HT: 6-1 WT: 201 S: L
GP: 25 G: 21 P: 64 PIM: 8
The slick skating, point-producing centre from Minnesota.
8. Buffalo Sabres: Elias Pettersson, C, Timra (SWE-Als)
HT: 6-2 WT: 161 S: L
GP: 43 G: 19 P: 41 PIM: 14
A skilled Swedish centre.
9. Detroit Red Wings: Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
HT: 6-0 WT: 200 S: R
GP: 60 G: 44 P: 75 PIM: 36
Addressing their goal scoring issues and select the best pure sniper in the draft.
10. Florida Panthers: Martin Necas, C, Brno (CZE)
HT: 6-0 WT: 167 S: R
GP: 41 G: 7 P: 15 PIM: 6
A highly skilled, albeit slight centre who plays in the top league in the Czech Republic.
11. Los Angeles Kings: Michael Rasmussen, C, Tri-City (WHL)
HT: 6-6 WT: 215 S: L
GP: 50 G: 32 P: 55 PIM: 50
A big centre at six-foot-five, 205 pounds. An attractive combination of size and skill. Some scouts concerned that most of his scoring is done on the power play.
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Eeli Tolvanen, RW, Sioux City (USHL)
HT: 5-10 WT: 170 S: L
GP: 52 G: 30 P: 54 PIM: 26
This volume shooter sniped 30 in the USHL this year. Off to Boston College next season.
13. Winnpeg Jets: Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)
HT: 6-4 WT: 210 S: R
GP: 71 G: 6 P: 57 PIM: 41
Doesn’t bring the thunder like his dad but this defenceman brings great awareness and offence. Good shot from the point as well.
14. Tampa Bay Lightning: Kristian Vesalainen, LW, HPK (SM Liiga)
HT: 6-3 WT: 207 S: L
GP: 26 G: 1 P: 6 PIM: 2
Has all the skills to fit the prototype power forward mould for the modern game. Struggled early in the season but turned it on at the end.
15. Vegas Golden Knights (from NY Islanders): Lias Andersson, C, HV71 (SHL)
HT: 5-11 WT: 198 S: L
GP: 42 G: 9 P: 19 PIM: 18
This intelligent and talented centre plays a smart puck possession game.
16. Calgary Flames: Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City (WHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 204 S: L
GP: 60 G: 19 P: 61 PIM: 34
You check a lot of boxes with Valimaki. Can be used in every situation and has offensive instincts.
17. Toronto Maple Leafs: Timothy Liljegren, D, Rogle (SWE)
HT: 6-0 WT: 191 SH: R
GP: 19 G: 1 P: 5 PIM: 4
The Toronto Maple Leafs need to upgrade their blueline. Liljegren is a step in that direction.
18. Boston Bruins: Nick Suzuki, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)
HT: 5-11 WT: 183 S: R
GP: 65 G: 45 P: 96 PIM: 10
Player with high hockey IQ and few better than this attack forward.
19. San Jose Sharks: Erik Brannstrom, D, HV71 Jr. (SWE-J20)
HT: 5-10 WT: 173 S: L
GP: 19 G: 9 P: 23 PIM: 18
Some compare him to Kris Letang and the similarities are there.
20. St. Louis Blues: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
HT: 6-2 WT: 160 S: L
GP: 62 G: 6 P: 39 PIM: 54
Pierre-Olivier Joseph is the third-ranked player coming out of the QMJHL ahead of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. Trailing only Nico Hischier and Maxime Comtois.
21. New York Rangers: Nicolas Hague, D, Mississauga (OHL)
HT: 6-6 WT: 215 S: L
GP: 64 G: 18 P: 44 PIM: 107
Plays in all situations, can anchor a PP. Some scouts think skating still an issue, others not that concerned about his feet. Very poised, well controlled now.
22. Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCAA)
HT: 6-2 WT: 183 S: L
GP: 35 G: 7 P: 13 PIM: 12
Reliable two-way centre.
23. Arizona Coyotes: Klim Kostin, RW, Moscow (KHL)
HT: 6-3 WT: 196 S: L
GP: 9 G: 1 P: 1 PIM: 4
One of the more interesting names in the draft this year. Kostin’s a beast, able to overpower opponents and blow shots past goalies.
24. Vegas Golden Knights: Kailer Yamamoto, RW, Spokane (WHL)
HT: 5-8 WT: 153 S: R
GP: 65 G: 42 P: 99 PIM: 46
Speedy, creative and can put up points. The Oilers don’t need size anymore. They need more skill. That’s Yamamoto’s game.
25. Montreal Canadiens: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph (OHL)
Ht:6-4 Wt: 192
Ratcliffe (6-5, 196) is a prototypical power forward with a good scoring touch. He has 39 points (21 goals, 18 assists), a plus-10 rating and 53 penalty minutes in 44 games.
26. Chicago Blackhawks: Rob Thomas, C, London (OHL)
HT: 6-0 WT: 185 S: R
GP: 66 G: 16 P: 66 PIM: 26
Thomas got better as the season went on. A good skater and playmaker. Many compare him to another former London Knight, Bo Horvat.
27. St. Louis Blues: Jason Robertson, LW, Kingston (OHL)
Ht:6-2 Wt: 195
An opportunistic scoring winger…he reads the game and adapts well but also has games where he becomes too focused on the puck and not the play around him.
28. Ottawa Senators: Maxime Comtois, LW, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
Ht: 6-1 Wt: 195
Conscientious forward that plays on both sides of the puck on consistent basis. Good compete level.
29. Dallas Stars: Urho Vaakanainen, D, Jyvaskala (SM Liiga)
HT: 6-0 WT: 185 S: L
GP: 41 G: 2 P: 6 PIM: 12
Smooth-skating defenceman who defends very well. But scouts wonder if there’s any offensive upside here.
30. Nashville Predators: Josh Norris, C, USA NTDP (USHL)
HT: 6-1 WT: 192 S: L
GP: 52 G: 23 P: 51 PIM: 34
Norris is real tough to play against with a never-say-die attitude. Good two-way centre.
31. Pittsburgh Penguins: Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
HT: 6-1 WT: 185 S: R
GP: 67 G: 7 P: 61 PIM: 69
This defenceman oozes offence and runs a power play smoothly.